The power of an attorney

12 September, 2018
A power of attorney is a legal document that allows you to nominate someone you trust to make financial decisions on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
Depending on state and territory laws, as well as your circumstances, a power of attorney can operate in different ways:
  • A general power of attorney allows someone to make financial and property decisions on your behalf for a limited time only, for example, if you are overseas for an extended amount of time.

  • An enduring power of attorney is the most common form and allows you to nominate someone you trust to make legal and financial decisions on your behalf if you, for instance, have an accident, fall ill or lose capacity. The benefit of an enduring power of attorney is that unlike an ordinary power of attorney, it will continue to operate even if you lose full legal capacity.

 An enduring power of attorney is an extremely powerful legal document, so it’s not only vital to ensure you have one in place, but it’s also critical that you appoint the right person or persons for the job.
Your attorney can step into your shoes and enter into contracts, operate your bank accounts and pay your bills for you. They even have the ability to sell your house or incur debt on your behalf.
It is a position that carries great responsibility and your attorney(s) should always act in your best interests. You can imagine the possible problems and difficulties that can ensue if your appointed attorneys don’t get along or can’t agree on important decisions that need to be made. If you can foresee conflicting issues arising amongst your attorneys, or if there is no one that you can absolutely trust, appointing a reputable, professional trustee company may be a good option.

What happens if you don’t have an enduring power of attorney?

If you do not get around to putting an enduring power of attorney in place and suffer an illness or loss of mental capacity, an application would need to be made to the relevant Administrative Tribunal in your state or territory for a financial administrator to be appointed to act on your behalf.
If the relevant Administrative Tribunal feels there are no appropriate family members or friends who can be appointed, they would usually appoint the Public Trustee to manage your financial affairs.
If you would like more information about enduring powers of attorney, please contact us.

Take the next step

To discuss your financial situation, make an appointment with a Bridges Financial Planner. 

We have an established alliance with Bridges, to provide our customers with financial advice. Bridges have been helping Australians for 30 years. 

To make an appointment with a Bridges Financial Planner, contact us.

Bridges Financial Services Pty Ltd (Bridges). ABN 60 003 474 977. ASX Participant. AFSL 240837.

This is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation and needs. Before making an investment decision based on this information, you should assess your own circumstances or consult a financial planner or a registered tax agent. Examples are illustrative only and are subject to the assumptions and qualifications disclosed. Part of the IOOF group

In referring customers to Bridges, CWCU does not accept responsibility for any acts, omissions or advice of Bridges and its authorised representatives.

Source: Bridges and Australian Executor Trustees